The Immigrant Learning Center (ILC) in Malden, MA, is hiring a full-time Research Assistant for its Public Education Institute team to augment its mission of informing Americans about immigrants and immigration in the U.S. The Research Assistant will work alongside a more senior Research Associate to produce preliminary data for research projects under the guidance of the Director, help create fact sheets and presentations, and perform other research-related and administrative tasks. The Research Assistant reports to the Director of The ILC Public Education Institute and will work closely with the Communications department. This position is in-person, not remote. Foreign-born residents/students in the U.S. are encouraged to apply. The Immigrant Learning Center offers a suite of benefits including health, dental, vision and retirement plans, paid vacation and more. Learn more here: https://www.ilctr.org/promoting-immigrants/.
- Mining raw data into usable formats from sources including U.S. Census, American Community Survey and Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Researching and writing basic literature reviews and primers
- Assisting with the development and completion of research projects in collaboration with a Research Associate
- Abstract writing as well as research, resource and infographic collecting for the Immigration Research Library at www.immigrationresearch.org
- Assisting with identifying published studies and other data sources to support the mission of the Institute and its partners
- Providing administrative support to the team including assisting with virtual and in-person activities
- Strengthen overall project management of the Institute and coordination with other ILC departments and external partners
- Proficiency in data visualization an asset but not required
- Other duties as assigned
Skills, Abilities, Competencies:
- U.S. work authorization, including Optional Practical Training; foreign-born U.S. residents/students encouraged to apply
- Proven ability in disaggregating data
- Comfort extracting data from multiple sources
- Exceptional written and oral communications skills
- Excellent project management skills, with a proven ability to take initiative and find creative solutions
- Ability to give and receive criticism constructively, work collaboratively and meet tight deadlines under pressure
- Experience with statistical or other programming software an asset
- A sense of humor, team spirit and ability to adapt to changing circumstances
Bachelor’s degree; coursework in statistics, mathematics or quantitative research methodologies required
Review of applications will begin immediately. No phone calls please.
The Immigrant Learning Center, Inc. (ILC) is a not-for-profit organization that gives immigrants a voice in three ways. The English Language Program provides free, year-round English classes to immigrant and refugee adults in Greater Boston to help them become successful workers, parents and community members. The ILC Public Education Institute informs Americans about immigrants and immigration in the U.S. The Institute for Immigration Research, a joint venture with George Mason University, conducts research on the economic contributions of immigrants.
The ILC is committed to equal employment opportunity for all qualified persons regardless of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, disability, marital status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. This commitment is evident throughout The ILC’s employment practices and policies, including those related to recruiting, hiring, compensation, benefits, training, transfers, promotions and terminations.
Salary and Benefits:
Paid vacation (21 days), sick time (eight days) and 10 paid holidays per fiscal year. Health, dental and vision insurance, as well as retirement plans are available.
Annual salary is up to $45,000.