The Immigrant Learning Center, Inc. (The ILC) of Malden, MA is a not-for-profit organization that helps immigrants and refugees become successful workers, parents and community members through direct service programs and public education. Our direct service program provides free year-round English classes to immigrant and refugee adults in Greater Boston.
We have a part-time position open in our Literacy Program for January 2023. The Literacy Program provides an option for students with low literacy in their first languages. It also accommodates students with learning differences that make it difficult for them to benefit from regular ESOL classes. To meet these students’ needs, literacy classes move at a slower pace, utilize highly individualized instruction, include extensive scaffolding, and develop reading and writing skills from the most basic to intermediate level.
- 3 weeks of paid vacation per year
- Paid holidays and sick time
- Paid curriculum and professional development
- Starting pay rate: $25 / per hour
- Begins January 3, 2023
- Classes are Monday – Friday, 9:00 – 11:30 AM
- Teacher meetings are most Friday afternoons from 12:00 – 2:00 PM
- Classes meet approximately 44 weeks per year
- Professional/curriculum development weeks take place outside of class weeks
- Instruct adult learners in English skills: reading, writing, speaking, and listening comprehension
- Integrate civic education and digital, financial, and health literacy into curriculum
- Assist with design and implementation of curriculum, assessments, and instructional materials
- Align curriculum to the Massachusetts English Language Proficiency Standards (MA-ELPS)
- Collaborate with education and career advisors on workforce preparation instruction
- Refer students for advising when appropriate
- Communicate issues to the program director in a timely manner
- Document unit and lesson plans in accordance with program guidelines
- Participate in program activities including curriculum and development meetings
- Set and document professional development goals
- Bachelor’s degree
- Teaching certificate or experience working with the adult immigrant population
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Proficient digital/internet skills
- Ability to adapt teaching styles and materials to meet individual needs of students
- Ability to work collaboratively and share responsibility with team members
If you are chosen to interview, you will have a Zoom interview with several members of the ESOL Department. This is a two-way interaction, and we want to give you the opportunity to get to know us and determine if this is the job for you. Candidates with successful interviews will be asked to prepare and carry out a demo lesson in person at The Immigrant Learning Center.
If you are interested, please send your resume to Jessica Senat, Director of English Language Programs, at email@example.com. The ILC is located at 442 Main St, Malden, and is easily accessible by public transportation. We are an equal opportunity employer actively seeking candidates from diverse backgrounds.
All staff are required to show verification of full COVID vaccination and booster.