The Immigrant Learning Center, Inc. (The ILC) of Malden, MA, is a not-for-profit organization that helps immigrants and refugees become successful workers, parents and community members through direct service programs and public education. Our direct service program provides free year-round English classes to immigrant and refugee adults in Greater Boston.
We have two in-person, full-time positions open in our Core ESOL Program to start in our winter 2024 session. The classes will be high beginning/low intermediate (EFL 3-4), but we are looking for flexible teachers to teach beginning through high-intermediate ESOL levels.
We also have one in-person, full-time position open in our ESOL Literacy Program to start in our Winter 2024 session. The Literacy Program provides an option for students with low literacy in their first languages. It also accommodates students with learning differences that make it difficult for them to benefit from regular ESOL classes. To meet these students’ needs, literacy classes move at a slower pace, utilize highly individualized instruction, include extensive scaffolding, and develop reading and writing skills from the most basic to intermediate level.
- Health insurance, dental insurance, 401K
- Seven fixed vacation weeks per year
- Paid holidays, sick time and personal days
- Paid curriculum and professional development
- Salary: $54,060 annually
- Start date: January 2, 2024 (orientation week to be determined)
- Forty hours a week (24.5 teaching hours, 15.5 prep hours)
- Morning classes are Monday – Friday, 9:00 – 11:30 AM
- Afternoon classes are Monday – Thursday, 12:00 – 3:00 PM
- Teacher meetings are most Friday afternoons from 12:00 – 2:00 PM
- Classes meet approximately 44 weeks per year
- One professional development week takes place outside of class weeks
- Instruct adult learners in English skills: reading, writing, speaking and listening comprehension
- Integrate civic education and digital, financial and health literacy into curriculum
- Assist with design and implementation of curriculum, assessments and instructional materials
- Align curriculum to the Massachusetts English Language Proficiency Standards (MA-ELPS)
- Collaborate with education and career advisors on workforce preparation instruction
- Refer students for advising when appropriate
- Communicate issues to the program director in a timely manner
- Document unit and lesson plans in accordance with program guidelines
- Participate in program activities including curriculum and professional development meetings
- Engage in continual professional development
- Bachelor’s degree
- Teaching certificate or experience working with the adult immigrant population
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Proficient digital/internet skills
- Ability to adapt teaching styles and materials to meet individual needs of students
- Ability to work collaboratively and share responsibility with team members
You will have a Zoom interview with several members of the ESOL Department. This is a two-way interaction, and we want to give you the opportunity to get to know us and determine if this is the job for you. Candidates with successful interviews will be asked to prepare and carry out a demo lesson in person at The Immigrant Learning Center.
If interested, please send your resume to Jessica Senat, director of English language programs, at [email protected]. The Immigrant Learning Center is located at 442 Main Street, Malden, and is easily accessible by public transportation. We are an equal-opportunity employer actively seeking candidates from diverse backgrounds.
All staff are required to show verification of full COVID-19 vaccination.