The Immigrant Learning Center, Inc. (The ILC) of Malden, MA, is a not-for-profit organization that helps immigrants and refugees become successful workers, parents, and community members through direct service programs and public education. Our direct service program provides free year-round English classes to immigrant and refugee adults in Greater Boston.
The Family Literacy Coordinator and Volunteer Coordinator supports the program in two main areas. The first area centers around designing and implementing workshops that equip English language learner parents to support their children’s education. The second area focuses on the recruitment and management of volunteers who assist in student learning. This is a full-time, in-person position ready for immediate hire.
- Health insurance, dental insurance, 401K
- 7 fixed vacation weeks per year
- Paid holidays, sick time, and personal days
- Paid curriculum and professional development
- Salary: $55,500 annually
- Start date: as soon as possible
- Full-time: 40 hours per week
- Classes meet approximately 44 weeks per year
- One professional development week takes place outside of class weeks
- Plan andpresent workshops for parents and caregivers in The ILC’s ESOL classes, covering topics such as Back to School, Advocating for Your Child, and Keeping Your Child Safe Online.
- Assist adult students in finding childcare, navigating the public school system, anddoing additional advocacy for their children.
- Manage the volunteer-facilitated reading groups andlearner’s permit classes.
- Organize the school library with level-appropriate books andfacilitate monthly class library visits.
- Recruit, screen, andinterview prospective volunteers; complete CORI background checks.
- Assign volunteers to appropriate classes andcheck in periodically to provide support.
- Plan andexecute an annual Volunteer Appreciation Luncheon.
- Recruit substitute teachers andarrange coverage in the event of a teacher’s absence.
- Ensure that teachers maintain adequate “emergency sub lesson plans” in case of absence.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Teaching certificate or experience working with the adult immigrant population
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Proficient digital/internet skills
- Ability to adapt teaching styles and materials to meet individual needs of students
- Ability to work collaboratively
- Strong organizational, communication, and management skills
You will have a Zoom interview with several members of the ESOL Department. This is a two-way interaction, and we want to give you the opportunity to get to know us and determine if this is the job for you. Candidates with successful interviews will be asked to prepare and submit a family literacy-focused lesson plan and participate in a second interview. This second interview will primarily revolve around a comprehensive discussion of the candidate’s family literacy-related lesson plan.
If interested, please send your resume to Jessica Senat, Director of English Language Programs, at [email protected]. The ILC is located at 442 Main St, Malden, and is easily accessible by public transportation. We are an equal opportunity employer actively seeking candidates from diverse backgrounds.