The Immigrant Learning Center is looking for a Communications Specialist to join our communications team. This position will take the lead on graphics/design and social media. Workload will be fluid and subject to change according to opportunities and projects that arise, including researching and implementing best practices and measuring results. We are a small team, and the ideal candidate will be willing and able to jump in and assist with communications activities from event support to website to newsletters, videos, etc.
How this position relates to our mission:
- Americans are being flooded with a rising tide of misinformation about immigrants. The communications specialist will work with The ILC Public Education Institute to create and disseminate content that accurately and effectively educates Americans about immigration.
- The communications specialist will help The ILC English language program leverage the expertise of our teaching staff to create online materials that can reach immigrants and refugees anywhere who are struggling to learn English.
- None of our work is possible without funding. The communications specialist will support the development department in sharing compelling stories about our work.
Position reports to:
Director of Communications, on-site at our offices in Malden, MA.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Clearly communicate the mission using both words and visuals to tell compelling stories
- Adopt The Immigrant Learning Center’s voice/tone across a variety of content
- Create content and designs for:
- Website (WordPress)
- Social media (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube)
- Email (Constant Contact)
- Newsletters, brochures etc.
- Administrative or other tasks as assigned by director of communications
- U.S. work authorization
- 2+ years relevant experience
- Associate’s or bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent experience
- Strong visual literacy
- Proficiency in Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher)
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator)
- Ability to create effective content for a variety of media in a non-academic setting
- Respect for goals, deadlines and budgets: you meet concurrent deadlines by setting priorities, organizing time, and identifying resources and assistance as needed
- Desire to make the world a better place demonstrated by paid or unpaid experience working on an issue you feel passionate about
- Strong collaborator and team member who is also able to work independently and take initiative
- Commitment to continuous improvement, you seek feedback and offer it freely and respectfully
- Experience working with commercial printers
- Experience with WordPress or related CMS
- Experience with photography
- Experience managing professional social media accounts
- Familiarity with current trends in social media, email marketing, SEO, etc.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a good sense of humor
This is a full-time, non-exempt position with a flexible schedule and an annual salary of $50,000. Benefits include paid vacation and sick time, health insurance and a retirement account.
To apply, please send an application packet with a cover letter, resume and two samples of your work to: firstname.lastname@example.org (Subject line: Communications Specialist). Review of applications will begin immediately. No phone calls please.
The Immigrant Learning Center, Inc. is a not-for-profit organization that gives immigrants a voice in three ways. The English Language Program provides free, year-round ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) classes to immigrant and refugee adults in Greater Boston to help them become successful workers, parents and community members. The Public Education Institute informs Americans about immigrants and immigration in the United States. The Institute for Immigration Research, a joint venture with George Mason University, conducts research on the economic contributions of immigrants.
The Immigrant Learning Center is committed to equal employment opportunity for all qualified persons regardless of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, disability, marital status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. This commitment is evident throughout The Immigrant Learning Center’s employment practices and policies, including those related to recruiting, hiring, compensation, benefits, training, transfers, promotions and terminations.