The Immigrant Learning Center is adding a Communications Specialist to our team to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of communication activities, including researching and implementing best practices and measuring results. The composition of the workload will be fluid and subject to change according to opportunities and projects that arise.
Position Reports to:
Director of Communications. Specialist will also work closely with the Development team, Public Education Institute staff and other departments.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Work with the team to develop communications strategies that engage a wide range of audiences
- Clearly communicate the mission using both words and visuals to tell compelling stories. Adopt The Immigrant Learning Center’s voice/tone across a variety of content.
- Write and create graphics for:
- Website (WordPress)
- Social media (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Pinterest)
- Email (Constant Contact)
- Newsletters, brochures etc.
- Administrative or other tasks as assigned by director of communications
- U.S. work authorization
- 2+ years relevant experience
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent experience
- Proficiency in Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Publisher)
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator)
- Ability to work from home at least part time until normal office conditions return post-pandemic
- Ability to create effective content for a variety of media in a non-academic setting
- Attention to detail, including proofreading, grammar and spelling
- Strong visual literacy
- Respect for goals, deadlines and budgets: you meet concurrent deadlines by setting priorities, organizing time, and identifying resources and assistance as needed
- Desire to make the world a better place demonstrated by paid or unpaid experience working on an issue you feel passionate about
- Strong collaborator and team member, able to work independently and take initiative
- Commitment to continuous improvement, you seek feedback and offer it freely and respectfully
- Experience with WordPress or related CMS
- Experience with Constant Contact marketing platform
- Experience with Microsoft Access or similar database
- Experience with photography
- Experience creating and editing video
- Experience with Adobe Premier Pro
- Experience managing professional social media accounts
- Familiarity with current web trends in social media, email marketing, SEO, etc.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a good sense of humor
This is a full-time, non-exempt position with an annual salary of $45,000 and paid vacation and sick time.
To apply, please send an application packet with a cover letter, resume, and two samples of your work to: firstname.lastname@example.org
(Subject line: Communications Specialist). Review of applications will begin immediately. No phone calls please.
The Immigrant Learning Center, Inc. is a not-for-profit organization that gives immigrants a voice in three ways. The English Language Program provides free, year-round English classes to immigrant and refugee adults in Greater Boston to help them become successful workers, parents and community members. The Public Education Institute informs Americans about the economic and social contributions of immigrants in our society. The Institute for Immigration Research, a joint venture with George Mason University, conducts research on the economic contributions of immigrants.
The Immigrant Learning Center is committed to equal employment opportunity for all qualified persons regardless of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, disability, marital status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. This commitment is evident throughout The Immigrant Learning Center’s employment practices and policies, including those related to recruiting, hiring, compensation, benefits, training, transfers, promotions and terminations.