Taking Back the Narrative: How to Talk About Immigrants and Immigration
It’s up to us as communicators to start the story in a way that brings out the values and solutions that we want.Julie Fisher-Rowe, The Opportunity Agenda
Framing immigration to change the conversation
Facts and stats don’t lie but they also don’t often make for the most compelling retort to an immigration myth. Instead, frame facts and statistics in terms of values and stories that highlight these values. This was one of the takeaways from the free webinar Taking Back the Narrative: How to Talk About Immigrants and Immigration, hosted by The Immigrant Learning Center Public Education Institute on February 23, 2017. In front of attendees from 47 states, experts in framing, messaging and communications offered research-based strategies for immigrant- and refugee-serving professionals to own the conversation on immigration.
Attendees learned to…
- Start with the facts when refuting the myths.
- Be solution-oriented when framing an argument.
- Focus on the whole by balancing individual stories with system-wide solutions.
- Substitute divisive and fear-based rhetoric with more positive and inclusive language.
- Use research-based frames such as shared values, pragmatism and shared prosperity in messaging.
Below are recordings and slides from the webinar. To be notified of the dates for the next webinar, sign up here.
Resources and recordings:
- Top Messaging Tips (PDF)
- Marisa Gerstein Pineau, PhD, FrameWorks Institute
- Marisa Gerstein Pineau, PhD, FrameWorks Institute; Lynn Tramonte, America’s Voice; Hannah Carswell, Welcoming America; Julie Fisher-Rowe, The Opportunity Agenda
- Winning Strategies in Use recording (video)
- Denzil Mohammed, The ILC Public Education Institute
For more resources and recordings from past webinars, click here.
The Opportunity Agenda
The ILC Public Education Institute
Drawing on 13 years of research and a range of expert partners, The ILC Public Education Institute delivers current and credible information through free webinars and interactive online workshops throughout the year. Learn more here.